KZN Business Chambers Council
KZN Business Sense



 

KZN Business Sense News


Back to overview

20/02/2020

Capitol Caterers - A BUSINESS OF THE YEAR 2019

Capitol Caterers has been acknowledged for their contribution to the KwaZulu-Natal economy.

Hot on the heels of receiving the Standard Bank KZN Top Business Award in the Business Services Sector in 2019, Capitol Caterers once again scooped the Business of the Year in the Services Sector at this year's Nedbank Pietermaritzburg and Midlands Chamber of Business (PMCB) awards held in November.
A rigorous independent assessment of the company's good governance and ethics, transformation programmes, commitment to staff development and significantly, the company's contribution to the local economy were evaluated. With their head office based in Pietermaritzburg, 52% of their catering contracts are held in the flagship region of KwaZulu-Natal.

Capitol Caterers procurement disbursement to local suppliers provides a significant economic injection into the KwaZulu-Natal economy. Approximately R130 million is disbursed annually to suppliers within KwaZulu-Natal.
Melanie Veness, CEO of PMCB, when presenting the Business of the Year award to Capitol Caterers, had this to say: "It is an honour to be able to recognise Capitol Caterers, not only for the success of this home-grown operation, but also for their vision encouraging all South Africans to move towards successful co-operative business ventures that build greater inclusivity. Russell Nzimande and Merrill King, you are truly inspirational."
Capitol Caterers contributes their business success to a moral compass encompassing staff wellness, inclusivity and employee empowerment through the Capitol Workers Trust and various other initiatives.

The Capitol Workers Trust was initiated in 2002 by company founder, Giles King; with a vision of empowering loyal staff for their long service and commitment to the company. An initial 21% of the company's ownership was transferred to the Capitol Workers Trust, at no cost to the beneficiaries. At present, the Capitol Workers Trust holds 49% of the overall company shareholding, with the remaining 51% held by executive management.
Since inception of the Capitol Workers Trust, beneficiaries have received R10,1 million in dividends. There are currently 653 beneficiaries; 410 (62.7%) of which are based in KwaZulu-Natal and comprising 75% black females.

Managing Director Merrill King salutes these black women for being the backbone of the business. At a recent address to clients, Merrill shared her sentiments. "In the hospitality industry we rely firmly on the work ethos of our staff and I am continually gratified and humbled by the dedication and perseverance they display. Many women need to leave home before 4am, catch two taxis, walk to work from their transport drop off point, then spend the day cooking, serving and smiling at (often very grumpy!) clients; only arriving home after 7pm to start dinner and commence with their house chores for their family.
Every compliment we receive about our staff or the food they have produced is proudly acknowledged and revered because we see the enormous effort that has gone into doing their job," added Merrill.

"The Capitol Workers Trust is just one small way that we can give back to the people who make our business happen. We Are Because of Others," says Russell Nzimande, joint Managing Director. The formation of The Capitol Workers Trust was undertaken voluntarily, prior to B-BBEE requirements being legislated. Capitol Caterers is a B-BBEE Level 1 accredited company.
Capitol Caterers ended the year on a high note, having been awarded the Mediclinic Pietermaritzburg catering services account with effect 1 December 2019. As a company based in Pietermaritzburg, this has facilitated further employment of local community members and additional contribution to the local economy.
"We are humbled by the consistent growth of our client base and importantly, our client retention. Being awarded the Mediclinic account is affirmation of our unwavering commitment to service excellence. "This is the first private hospital in our Healthcare stable, and certainly not our last," concluded Merrill.

Melanie Wester, Group Marketing and Sales Manager
T: +27 33 394 0310
E: melanie.wester@capitolcaterers.co.za
W: www.capitolcaterers.co.za

 Capitol Cateres A Business Of The Year 2019.JPG
 Capitol Cateres A Business Of The Year 2019.pdf


Back to overview